Visual Typology of Twisted or Plaited Viking Age -Rings. Part 2.

Legend:  Visual Typology of Viking Age
Finger-, Arm-, and Neck-Rings, Figure 1.
This is Part 2 of my blog post series on the visual Typology I've worked on for twisted and/or plaited Viking Age (VA) Finger-Rings, Arm-Rings, and Neck-Rings (-Rings). In this post I will be covering the Legend of my visual typology so that the examples I post in my third blog post will make more sense.

Part 1 covered the most important elements, the metal rods and/or wire they forged and then twisted and/or plaited to form their -Rings.


[IMAGE]
Legend:  Visual Typology of Viking Age Finger-, Arm-, and Neck-Rings, Figure 1

The examples are shown as Cross-Sections to better illustrate the various parts.


SETS: Are usually 2 or 3 Strands, but can be more, of Wire or Rod; most often Twisted together Clockwise. Rods can be tapered at the ends so that the middle is the thickest/widest point.

Example shown. SET  1 x 2, Twisted Clockwise 


BUNDLES: Are usually 2 or 3 Sets, but can be more; most often Plaited together Counter Clockwise.

Example shown. BUNDLE  1 x 2, Plaited Counter Clockwise


Embellishments: Are optional decorative elements for Sets or Bundles, and they are made using Wires of a much smaller diameter than the primary ones used to make the Sets. They are usually either 1 Beaded Wire or made up of 1 or 2 Round Wires. When there are 2 or more Wires they are most often Twisted together Clockwise. 

Embellishments are seated in the 'valleys' created when the Sets are Twisted or the Bundles are Plaited. This means that the same number of Embellishment Wires are used as there are Strands in the Set, or the number of Sets in the Bundle.


Please Note:
Currently, there is no formal descriptive nomenclature to define this based on Ted Bouck's research and networking across the globe, as well as in my own research. My definitions are based on the ones developed by Ted Bouck, which I agree with, he will more fully define them in the future. Please refer to his document, "The processes used to make a twisted or plaited Viking Age "style" armring." Definitions used with permission from Ted Bouck who retails full Copyrights.


All graphics of my Visual Typology of twisted and/or plaited Viking Age Finger-Rings, Arm-Rings, and Neck-Rings are Copyrighted by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinned Post

Welcome to my new blog site.

I look forward to posting about my on going projects and research here. I would like to share with you links to my various online researc...