Research Progress (a.k.a. ‘Rabbit Holes’)

I started researching Byzantine and Georgian Enameling for a project, got briefly side tracked by the Limoges pieces at the MET, which I was fortunate enough to see in person, then I came across Late Anglo-Saxon enabled brooches and fell hard for them. This opened a new rabbit hole.

I wanted to know how they made their enamels and if they used the same glass as they used in their glass beads, which there a lot more extant examples of than their enameled items. I started researching glass and found that there wasn't much at all mentioned in Late period publications about it, I would later figure out that there is only a fraction written about Late Anglo-Saxon compared to Early or even Middle period.

I noticed it mentioned in several publications that Byzantine enamels, and those made in Britain after the fall of Rome, were made from scavenged Tesserae, glass tiles used in mosaics, found in many Roman buildings. So they weren't making their own glass or enamels from scratch, but scavenging used pieces to either remelt to make beads or crushed them to make their enamels. 

This led to researching Roman glass production, shipping, as well as glass made at the time outside of the Roman Empire and earlier, to glass chemistry and sources for the components. Also to the practice of recycling Roman glass after the fall of Rome.

I looked for modern makers of Roman glass that I could purchase to experiment with my making glass beads and my own enamels. I found a small handful that say it's Roman glass, but my concern is the source of the main component, the sand source. Every beach or area that sand is found is made from a different rock or combination or rocks. The type of rock makes a great difference in the characteristics and properties of the glass made. So I wanted to try and make my own especially if I couldn't purchase their Roman glass or if I found it wasn't chemically the same. So I looked into period methods of glass production and current Experimental Archaeology being done.

I asked my friends on Facebook if they lived near a beach or source of sand and where they were. It turns out a great number of them are near a source and it covers the continental US, minus Alaska. I even have a couple of friends in different parts of Canada then where live that could send/bring me sand. I researched current shipping laws about importing sand into Canada and fortunately I can bring in anything from the continental USA. Sadly not from my European friends which are in great locations. I need to look into anywhere here in Canada or the US that imports sand from Europe and if I can get sand from the same sources used by Rome.

If I can put together a kiln that could melt the ingredients to make my own glass then I can make a variety from all the sand my friends will give me and any I can purchase. 

I wanted to find out why there weren't any grave finds of these Late Anglo- Saxon enameled brooches and why they were all found with metal detectors. I found out that grave and burial practices changed (Christianity) about this time or earlier leading to not burying their prized possessions with them as they did for centuries before.

I'm still trying to find Late Anglo-Saxon research on their glass and enamel, but there's very little and it's not exactly what I need.

After I find enough about glass and enamel I will start in deeper on Anglo-Saxon metalwork, sources for their metals, and their production methods. I've found a bit so far, but not as much as I'd prefer.

I'm a Goldsmith and plan to make my own sheet metal from melting the metal (Red Brass CDA#230), pouring an ingot, and rolling it into sheet using my rolling mill. The joint issues that I have, especially those with my hands and arms, don't allow me to hammer the Copper Alloy out into sheets since it would be too harsh on them, so I will use a modern rolling mill which has replaced hammering out sheet. If I was using a high Karat Gold or even Fine Silver, both of which are far more malleable than Brasses, I might be able to hammer them into sheet without injuring or causing inflammation to my hand and arm joints. I would like to try to make my own Gold and Silver Leaf at some point.

I'm going to experiment with modern glass bead rods, which are uses in modern bead making, Flameworking, to make my own enamels from them to get the feel of making them myself from pieces of glass even though it's not Roman glass. If I manage to find Roman glass I'll experiment with it as well.

With the help of my Laurel I'll be making an amalgam of Mercury and Gold to try a period Gilding method used by the Anglo-Saxons and several other cultures. I won't be Gilding an entire brooch due to the costs and health concerns, I just want to try making and using a small quantity for the experience.

After this research and project is complete I plan to research and make cast Roman enameled brooches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinned Post

Welcome to my new blog site.

I look forward to posting about my on going projects and research here. I would like to share with you links to my various online researc...